Personal Goals | Career Goals | Financial Goals | Health Goals | Life Goals | Spiritual Goals
So you’re surfing the net… Looking for some great, inspiring information about GOAL SETTING…
Are you ready to take the next very important step to actually achieving your dreams and goals…?
Before you click to another web page, get out a blank piece of paper or open a new word doc, and do a quick exercise to empower your thinking about your Goals.
My DREAM BUILDING Brainstorm List
- Put your name and today’s date at the top of your page.
- Number your page 1 to 50.
- Take the next 5 minutes and as quickly as you can write down as many things you can think of that you want to SEE, DO, and HAVE before you die. This is your Dream Building List!
- Ready, Set…GO!
ARE YOU WRITING YET…OR DID YOU SKIP IT AND SAY, “I’LL DO IT LATER.” COME ON, HAVE SOME FUN – TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND DO IT NOW!!!
Don’t worry how big or trivial the things on your list might be. Don’t worry what other people might think or say. Don’t worry about how far-fetched, or impossible they might seem to achieve. Just WRITE EVERYTHING that comes to your brain that might even be the beginning of a goal DOWN ON PAPER!
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU’VE JUST TAKEN THE FIRST VERY BIG STEP TO ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS.
Let me ask you a quick question… Have you ever done this exercise before?
- If the answer to that is yes…do you know where your old list is? Find it and see how many things you’ve already accomplished! And compare that list to the new one you just created. There are no limits to the number of things you can have on your goal list!
- If you haven’t…this list is your springboard to getting everything you want out of life!
The first time I did this exercise, I only came up with about 15 goals! So don’t panic if you’ve got a short list right now. It just means you’ve got room to expand your thinking about what’s important to your life, health, and happiness. And please note that just like YOU, your goal list will be constantly changing and evolving. You can add to it and delete – and celebrate your success every time you achieve something on your list!
GOALS ARE WANTS, WISHES, DESIRES, AND ASPIRATIONS
For healthy life-balance, it’s important to think about goals for every different part of your life.
- Physical & Health
- Family & Friends
- Financial & Career
- Mental & Educational
- Cultural & Community
Now use your 5-minute Dream Building List and expand your thoughts
Create a positive goal statement for the things on your list! State it like you’ve already achieved the goal!
- I AM
- I HAVE
- I CAN
- I WANT
- I DO
A Good Goal is Both SPECIFIC and MEASURABLE
“I want to lose weight.” This is not a specific and measurable goal statement.
“I can lose 10 pounds by March 1, 2009”. This is a clear & specific goal that can easily be measured for success!
“I want a new car.” Again…not specific or measurable.
“I want an eco-friendly, 2009 Toyota Prius, silver pine mica exterior, bisque fabric interior, options package #5 MSRP $28,123.”
This is specific, but not measurable because there is not yet a date or deadline tied to achieving this goal. (Do I want to own this car in 2009, or buy it used in 2015 for $5,000!)
KEEP YOUR GOALS IN FRONT OF YOU AND READ & REVIEW DAILY!
Break Your Goals Into Baby-Steps:
- What can you do today that will help you reach your goal?
- What will you do this week to move you closer to achieving your goal?
- What will you do this month?
Write It All Down!
Follow the plan-of-action you’ve created and celebrate your steps to success! Before you know it your dreams will become reality!
Get more Mind-Body Health and Healing information from Centerworks and Aliesa George.